Yes! After going through tons of pins and blogs, I found my favorite coffee replacement. It has no caffeine whatsoever, but this totally gets me going in the mornings. Coffee is delicious and I can’t completely give it up, but I love how I’ve cut down my coffee intake to like…1 or no cups vs 2-3 cups per day.
I’ve been drinking this concoction for about 2 months…it consists of hot water, 3/4 of a lemon, and 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper. Hot lemon water has been talked about on many of my fav blogs/websites, such as The Skinny Confidential, Shape, and Food Babe.
I like my water extra lemony, so I use 3/4 of one lemon. Here’s how I make my morning lemon water:
- Boil hot water, let it cool off a little.
- Slice off 3/4 of one lemon and slice off two thin slivers of lemon from that slice.
- Squeeze the excess lemon into your mug and place the two slivers in there also.
- Measure 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper and put in your mug
- Top off with water
When I first tried this, I put way too much cayenne. As I became more tolerant to the spicyness, I was able to add more and more and more. Delish!
OH and huge plus. Apparently, lemon water is a natural diuretic…yay for less bloat! (warning: this may cause you to go to the bathroom like 3x more than usual. TMI??!!?)
Benefits of Lemon:
According to Dr. Mike Roussell at Shape.com,
- Lemon improves digestion
- Lemon juice contains vitamin C, which has been shown to enhance mineral absorption
- Lemon peels contains the antioxidant, d-limonene. This antioxidant has been shown to turn toxic compounds in the liver to non-harmful or less harmful types.
Benefits of Cayenne:
According to Nutritionist Jennifer Brett from HowStuffWorks,
- Cayenne stimulates digestion and muscle movement in intestines
- Cayenne stimulates circulation and blood flow
- Cayenne can reduce excess appetite